[CANUFNET] Tree Staking

Mark Peterson mpa at golden.net
Sun Oct 3 18:37:50 EDT 2010

Normally one should use a wooden stake and a tree saddle or collar to stake
trees. Because the saddle/collar is not very long, the stake needs to be
placed through the root ball. Does anyone know about any studies conducted
on what damage, if any, is caused by the stake when driven through the root
ball?

I know of a contractor who does not like to use saddles/collars because they
are afraid of causing root ball damage when driving in the stake.

I would like to know what opinions are out there about this issue. My
opinion is that if the stake has a nice long tapered point, no damage will
occur as the passage of the stake through the root ball will push any roots
aside.

Mark Peterson, BES, MLArch, OALA
Mark Peterson & Associates, Landscape Architect
(519)743-2990        www.openspacesolutions.com