[CANUFNET] Request for information on urban forestry programs across Canada

Steve Finn Steve_Finn at bcit.ca
Wed Dec 22 20:52:48 EST 2010

Seasons Greetings to all CANUFET members!

I am the acting program head of BCIT's Sustainable Resource Management
(SRM) program ( www.bcit.ca/srm). We have been asked by the management team
to investigate revising our program to concentrate on a more urban
focus.....moving from an industrial forestry program to a more urban
centric focused. We hope to continue to provide graduates who qualify for
Registered Forest Technologist accreditation with the Association of BC
Forest Professionals ( ABCFP).

I have lots of questions to ask, but will keep the number low:

1) Where are the current "urban forestry" programs located in Canada?

2) Has anyone done any skills or needs assessments looking at the demand
for urban foresters?

3) What are some of the skills that you feel are mandatory? Missing?

Any information ( or contacts) that you could provide would be appreciated.
Feel free to contact me directly at steve_finn at bcit.ca

Many thanks and Best of the Season to you!

Steve

Steve Finn M.F., R.P.F.
Program Head

Brownfield Redevelopment Program