[CANUFNET] Planting depth

Braaten, Lorilee (IS - Parks) Lorilee.Braaten at Saskatoon.ca
Fri Mar 25 15:12:53 EDT 2011

Hello everyone,

I have recently attended to two seminars, one with Dr. Ed Gilman and one with Dr. Hanna Mathers.  The two have very different views on planting depth.
I would like to hear others opinions on planting trees at the same depth as previously planted vs. planting higher (at or near the root flare).  It seems there may be possible problems associated with either practice when planting container or bareroot trees and some issues may be species specific.  We have had good results with planting depth near the root flare and have not experienced any issues because of it.  I am interested in your comments.

Lorilee Braaten
Nursery Technician, Urban Forestry
City of Saskatoon
1101 Ave P North. Saskatoon, Sk.  S7L 7K6
cell: (306)220 6318
fax: (306)975 3034