[CANUFNET] To Mulch or Not To Mulch

pwynnyczuk at richmondhill.ca pwynnyczuk at richmondhill.ca
Wed Mar 30 15:30:53 EDT 2011

Hi Terri,
What happens to exposed soil around the base of the tree or anywhere,
.....erosion, soil compaction...heat build up...are these factors that
affect recently planted trees survival?
No mulch, could attract weed seeds, which then germinate and attract
string trimmers....

A couple of inches helps address the above and allows for the creeping of
grass to the base of the trees over a few years.
 This is based on a few years of Blvd tree planting.

Look forward to the continuation of this question.

Regards,
Peter Wynnyczuk

Urban Forestry Supervisor
Town of Richmond Hill