[CANUFNET] To Mulch or Not To Mulch

Ward, Greg GAWard at surrey.ca
Thu Mar 31 10:19:11 EDT 2011

Taken from the University of Florida website (Gilman is an author)...

Robert J. Black, Edward F. Gilman, Gary W. Knox and Kathleen C. Ruppert2

A mulch is any material applied to the soil surface for protection or
improvement of the area covered. Mulches are frequently applied around
plants to modify the soil environment and enhance plant growth. The
mulch material may be organic such as bark, wood chips, leaves, pine
needles, grass clippings or similar material; or inorganic such as
gravel, pebbles, polyethylene film or woven ground cloth.

BENEFITS OF MULCHING
Mulching has the following beneficial effects upon the soil and plants.

Mulches can prevent loss of water from the soil by evaporation. Moisture
moves by capillary action to the surface and evaporates if the soil is
not covered by a mulch.

Mulches suppress weeds when the mulch material itself is weed-free and
applied deeply enough to prevent weed germination or to smother existing
small weeds.

A more uniform soil temperature can be maintained by mulching. The mulch
acts as an insulator that keeps the soil cool under intense sunlight and
warm during cold weather.

Mulching will prevent crusting of the soil surface, thus improving
absorption and percolation of water into the soil and, at the same time,
reducing erosion.

Organic materials used as a mulch can improve soil structure and tilth.
As mulch decays, the material becomes topsoil. Decaying mulch may also
add nutrients to the soil.

Mulches also add to the beauty of the landscape by providing a cover of
uniform color and interesting texture to the surface.

Mulched plants will produce roots in the mulch that surrounds them.
These roots are produced in addition to the roots that a plant produces
in the soil. As a result, mulched plants have more roots than unmulched
plants.

HOW TO APPLY MULCH
Mulch entire plant beds with a layer of mulching material. When mulching
individual trees in lawns, create a circle of mulch about 2 feet in
diameter for each inch of trunk diameter. Increase the size of the
mulched area as the tree grows.

Pull mulch 1 to 2 inches away from the stems and trunks of plants. The
high moisture environment created by mulch increases the chances of stem
or trunk rot which can result in plant death.

HOW DEEP TO APPLY MULCH
The amount of mulch to apply will depend on the texture and density of
the mulch. Many wood and bark mulches are composed of fine particles and
should not be more than 2 to 3 inches deep after settling. Excessive
amounts of these fine-textured mulches around shallow-rooted plants can
suffocate their roots causing chlorosis and poor growth. Course-textured
mulches such as pine needles and pine bark nuggets, which allow good air
movement through them, can be maintained as deep as 4 inches.

Mulches composed solely of shredded leaves, small leaves (oak leaves),
or grass clippings should never exceed a 2-inch depth. These materials
have flat surfaces and tend to mat together, restricting the water and
air supply to plant roots.

GREG WARD | MANAGER, URBAN FORESTRY AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROGRAMS

Parks, Recreation and Culture
14645 - 66 Ave, Surrey, BC, Canada V3S 5M2
T 604.501 5170 | F 604.501 5177   www.surrey.ca