[CANUFNET] High density housing and tree planting

Jeremy Gye jgye at shaw.ca
Fri Apr 8 14:44:11 EDT 2011

Densification initiatives that don’t take account of green infrastructure
are making it more and more difficult to sustain our urban forests.  This
issue speaks strongly to the need to plan for adequate green space when new
urban development or conversion is being considered.  As Astrid’s post makes
clear, once the zoning and development permit guidelines for these areas are
enacted, our hands are tied.  A healthy city needs a diversity of treed
environments across the entire urban landscape to realize the benefit
potential of its urban forest.   As arborists and foresters, we need to help
our communities and local government think through what kind of treed
environments are best suited to different urban settings or land-uses and
how much canopy cover we need to optimize green infrastructure and other
benefits from the urban forest.  These are value-based choices that need the
support of the public and that must be codified in local neighbourhood and
official community plans.  Once the community and civic leaders are on-side,
we can work with urban planners to ensure that adequate space is provided to
grow and sustain our urban forests.  As Ian suggests in his response to
Astrid’s post, integrated strategies that include private as well as public
lands need to be explored.

Jeremy Gye

Gye and Associates Ltd

Consultants in Urban Forestry and Arboriculture

Office: (250) 544-1700

Fax: (250) 544-2059

Cell: (250) 883-4533

E-mail: jgye at shaw.ca