[CANUFNET] High density housing and tree planting

pwynnyczuk at richmondhill.ca pwynnyczuk at richmondhill.ca
Fri Apr 8 13:03:59 EDT 2011

The bigger issue related to tree planting in relation to intensified
development is the compression of the utilities in the smaller frontage
width and narrower road allowances.  Transformers, street lights,
hydrants, +communication pedestals all take up a smaller footprint. having
some minium distances of even 2 m from hydrants or transformers (non-
opening side) can be a challenge if you still want to maintain 1.5 to 2.m
from driveways. Compound that with Streetlights that we try to stay about
6 m from .....
With street townhouses we find that there is about one municipal tree for
about 5 or 6 units  that are 6 to 8 m wide frontage due to the above
structures.

3m setback does not allow for sidewalks unless over the utilities, or
vehicles being contained to private property, unless the unit front and
garage are offset to allow parking entirely on private property.

Bottom line after the Developers/Engineers are through there would be
little municipal  soil space that is not obstructed or in conflict with
utilities available for the trees.
Private plantings elsewhere has its risk in terms of if they are part of
the site plan registered on title to help continue their maintenance or
replacement as needed.  If it is left to the property owner, then buy in
is important at the marketing stage to accept responsibility for tree
care.

Regards,
Peter Wynnyczuk

Urban Forestry Supervisor