[CANUFNET] Fwd: Roots causing damage to Gas and Oil pipelines

Croy, Owen OCCroy at surrey.ca
Thu Nov 24 13:12:38 EST 2011

The U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) in 2010 released safety
guidelines to help local governments, developers, and community planners
better protect areas near transmission pipelines. The guidelines were
developed by the Pipelines and Informed Planning Alliance (PIPA).  The
report, Partnering to Further Enhance Pipeline Safety in Communities
through Risk-Informed Land Use Planning, offers recommended safety
practices.  The planning document also talks about damage to pipelines
from roots.  Follow the link and check out Appendix 'C', examples 14 and
15 (a)-(f); you may find this informative.  I was particularly intrigued
by the lighting damage aspect, which I would not have considered, given
that southern coastal areas of British Columbia suffers few lighting
strikes to trees.

http://primis.phmsa.dot.gov/comm/publications/PIPA/PIPA-Report-Final-201
01117.pdf#pagemode=bookmarks

Owen Croy, City of Surrey