[CANUFNET] Dutch Elm Disease

James Urban urbantree at toad.net
Sun Dec 11 10:37:36 EST 2011

Mike

I am not sure where the science is but it is a fairly common belief at all levels of the urban forest research and practice community that DED is transmitted across root grafts.  At the Bureau of Engraving and Printing and at the MLK memorial in Washington DC, we specified root barriers within the soil zone below pavements between each tree.  The downside of this is that we segmented the soil volumes making them less effective.  I am also not sure that in either case we developed an effective barrier.  Roots are well adapted to get around all but the most aggressive barriers. In the end all trees get something and elms get a large number of other things besides DED.  I still think focusing on diversity and large soil volumes will net healthier stands of trees.

Jim Urban
Urban Trees + Soils
410 263 4838