[CANUFNET] Dutch Elm Disease

Oliver Reichl careofthetrees at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 09:44:56 EST 2011

Mike:

I would take Philip's comment on alternating species one step further and
suggest that spacing, with or without other trees between, is critical. A
quick Google took me to the American Phytopathological
Society<http://www.apsnet.org/edcenter/intropp/lessons/fungi/ascomycetes/Pages/DutchElm.aspx>
website,
which mentions that "Large elms growing within 7 meters (20 feet) of each
other have almost 100% chance of becoming infected through root grafts. The
likelihood of spread is lower when the elms are at least 13 meters (40
feet) apart."  (No specific reference is given for those figures).

Oliver K. Reichl, B.E.S.(Hons)
Consulting Arborist-Ecologist
ISA Certified Arborist #ON-1178A
18 Larue Mills Rd.