[CANUFNET] Municipal tree ownership/responsibility

Chartier, Michelle (IS - Parks) Michelle.Chartier at Saskatoon.ca
Mon Dec 19 12:14:54 EST 2011

Hi Alex,
The issue of ownership and responsibility of trees that are, in part, on City property has been on-going for us in Saskatoon. If you check out the City of Toronto website you'll see they have a form they use titled 'Consent to Tree Maintenance For Boundary Line Street Trees'. I'm not sure what their experience is with using this form but in Saskatoon we have the same form. We also define a 'Straddling Tree' in our City Council Policy (I've attached it). There are still cases that come up that are complicated. Generally, when trees are more than 50% on our property we keep them on our inventory and maintain them, even if a home-owner may have planted the tree. Presently in cases where the tree is less than 50% on City property we may or may not maintain these trees depending on the situation and whether the tree is currently in our inventory. Most home-owners want us to continue to maintain these 'straddling' trees given the choice. To make things complicated there are times when home owners want a straddling tree removed, and this can become an issue.
We recently had our solicitors department comment on what our responsibility may be in these various situations and they responded by telling us with that with 'straddling trees' there is duel ownership therefore the two parties should enter into an agreement as to who will do what with the tree. Even though an owner signs this form they tell us there may still be liability should a catastrophic event happen, not related to "an act of god". We were also told that if we made an error by planting on private property we must make an effort to maintain these trees. In cases where home-owners planted on our property we do take ownership of these trees and have an obligation to maintain them.
I hope this is helpful.

Michelle Chartier
Urban Forestry - Supervisor
Infrastructure Services - Parks Branch