[CANUFNET] Tree Planting Distances

gina.brouwer at utoronto.ca gina.brouwer at utoronto.ca
Mon Jan 2 09:56:55 EST 2012

Hello,
This email is in response to Fletcher Smith on Nov.23rd - I apologize
for the late reply and I hope the info is still helpful.  I had sent
it originally in November and just realized it didn't go through.

I worked with the Town of Markham to prepare their 'Trees for
Tomorrow' streetscape manual, available at the link below.   We
developed the attached illustration using the Town’s standard
engineering drawings with tree size at time of planting and in 40yrs.
Typically, guidelines do not specify whether the setback is from the
mature canopy or centre of the tree which can have a huge impact
depending on species, location, condition, and maintenance
expectations.  The technical guidelines (Appendix B – pg.6 attached)
include a tree siting table  for various ROW infrastructure including
depth or height of infrastructure, detailed setback requirements and
notes on the potential conflict and reason for setback.  This document
is meant to be adaptable and should be reviewed with individual
utilities and tolerances should be discussed based on management
expectations and should allow for flexibility to plant where ‘the
space between’ may not allow for tree planting when compiling all of
the restrictions.  We will be updating the manual in early 2012.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.markham.ca/NR/rdonlyres/4DFFC567-FA0A-4861-A5D3-D91BCEA2B45E/0/t4t_streescapemanual.pdf&sa=U&ei=0bbOTunuOpSLsAKv0-TLDg&ved=0CBIQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNHDGBG0WSAYOsrXv7YiZCZtM61ZdA

Gina Brouwer, OALA, CSLA, ISA
Manager, Landscape Architecture
Planning, Design and Development
D 905.372.2121 ext.249
Gina.Brouwer at aecom.com

AECOM
513 Division Street
Cobourg, ON  K9A 5G6
T 905.372.2121 F 905.372.3621
www.aecom.com

This communication is intended for the sole use of the person(s) to
whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential or subject to copyright.  Any unauthorized use,
disclosure or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please contact the
sender immediately.  Any communication received in error should be
deleted and all copies destroyed.

Please consider the environment before printing this page.