[CANUFNET] Ash tree appraisal - do you discount?

Vince Rutter vince at rutterurbanforestry.ca
Fri Feb 3 16:06:18 EST 2012

I think that you cannot discount the species value because of EAB but you
may need to discount the value of the tree by the cost of preventative
treatments over a reasonable amount of years.  For example a $5,000 ash
tree should perhaps be devalued by the cost of Treeazin treatments over ten
years.  If treatments cost $300/2years, the tree's value may be $3,500.

I devalued a birch tree that I assessed to account for cost of treatment to
address a bronze birch borer infestation.  Very similar.  Although the
report didn't see a court of law it was accepted by the insurance
companies.

If there were no treatment options for EAB, it would be a different
situation i think.

Vince Rutter, RPF
ISA Certified Arborist
Rutter Urban Forestry LTD.