[CANUFNET] Beech Bark Disease

Jeannette Wheeler Jeannette.Wheeler at edmonton.ca
Sun Feb 26 11:36:50 EST 2012

From: forestreecare at nexicom.net [mailto:forestreecare at nexicom.net]
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2012 04:28 AM
To: Canadian Urban Forest Network <canufnet at list.web.net>
Subject: Re: [CANUFNET] Beech Bark Disease

Bowdan is correct. Never recommend the removal of a putitively resistant, or resilient tree to any disease or insect attack. There are always some trees (<5%) in a population that will pass on genetic resistance to the next generation. Saying all this, we must consider that the larger beech trees will not 'canker' similar to the regenerating trees which will be more deformed. Older, larger >60 cm dbh trees will likely have the initial population of beech scale when they first invade the area. That population of scale will subside over time and the two Nectria fungi responsible for bbd will then kill the trees over a number of years. The whole process is 10+ years or more.
There is lots of information on bbd out there.
Ed Czerwinski
Forestree Care