[CANUFNET] sumac and Manitoba maples

Shields, Peter Peter.Shields at davey.com
Wed Jun 13 10:00:37 EDT 2012

Using another species rating from a different but perhaps similar area would not be un-reasonable.  Using a different species would be very debatable.  Staying with the same species I believe would be better in this situation.
The mid-Atlantic lists Rhus at an average rating of 0.50 and negundo as 0.40.  Not sure if Illinois has ones for the same species but closer to Ontario the better perhaps.
I do not think Tree of Heaven and sumac should be considered similar at all.  The maple comparison is debatable too.  I would stick with the same species.
All the best,

Peter Shields
Board Certified Master Arborist, ISA BCMA ON 0570B
Certified Tree Risk Assessor, ISA PNW CTRA #1590
Forest Technician
ASCA Member
Butternut Health Assessor,  OMNR BHA #252
Davey Resource Group, A Division of Davey Tree Expert Company
Cell (647) 465-4901