[CANUFNET] Tree of Heaven

Koskinen, Jennifer Jennifer.Koskinen at stantec.com
Mon Jun 18 16:15:04 EDT 2012

Tree of  hea- LL, lol.

Trees are better than no trees.  But I thought that we were on the road to planting local genetic stock -  planting trees  that came from seeds in that seed zone - increase the planting of native tree species, changing development design so that trees we recommend to be planted can survive?

Yes,  we are faced with providing planting plans for clay filled subdivisions, and parking lot islands etc.  Native species don't do well here.  So we plant non-native.  But planting invasive species - wrong direction.  Hey, remember the time Norway Maple was the #1 fav street tree?  Oh wait, and remember the time we are finding it in our ESPA (enviro sens protection area) forests?

Tree of Heaven can be a large beautiful tree, fast growing.  But even if it doesn't produce seed, what about the suckering, the production of trees vegetatively.  Also just finished reading that the Tree of Heaven produce a chemical that inhibits growth of some types of vegetation; and that the male flower has a god aweful smell that people can't stand.  Sounds like the most not-perfect invasive tree to be planting in our developments that may be close to our woodlands.

Cities like Kitchener are currently developing new design guidelines that include better development requirements for street trees so that they can survive because they have not been.  I like the idea of the developments catering to trees instead of trees catering to developments.  As for Alberta, you can't grow many trees there not just because of the developments, but because of the soil and warm/freeze  changes, just keep planting poplars as street trees, poplars aren't so bad just don't park under them - i'm from thunder bay, we don't have that many tree species either.

Don't plant invasives. (i should make t-shirts)

jennifer koskinen

Message: 1