[CANUFNET] Restricting Tree Height

Elaine Johnson Elaine.Johnson at reddeer.ca
Fri Jul 6 08:32:47 EDT 2012

Not in our municipality and I wouldn't even entertain the idea of considering it.  I suspect they are talking about topping.  I get questions about topping all the time and usually take the opportunity to educate people that the large tree species are already genetically designed to be exactly that, large.  I even use the analogy of trying to stop your children from growing by placing a book on their head (silly but an effective visual for them).  May be just a case of an 'urban myth' and if they can't give supporting information, I would just educate them as to what actually can be done such as directional pruning and once the tree has lived it's lifespan, consider replacing it with a smaller species.  Good luck Geoff!

Elaine Johnson
Urban Forester
Parks Planning and Technical Services
The City of Red Deer