[CANUFNET] Woodlot valuations

Alex Satel asatel at ufis.ca
Wed Sep 26 12:30:57 EDT 2012

Geri,

The quick and dirty answer: an ‘ISA plant appraisal’ doesn’t really exist.
The ISA PVAC (Plant Appraisal and Valuation Committee) was/is involved as
one of the contributors to the CTLA guides (among other groups such as
ASCA), but there is not an ISA method per se. Anyone asking probably just
doesn’t know that it should really be referred to as CTLA, and that’s what
they’re really asking for.

Now, what CTLA method they are after is another story. There are several
appraisal methods outlined in the Guide, and it’s a matter of choosing the
most reasonable method for the situation. It’s true (IMO) that the Trunk
Formula Method (which is what I believe you’re generally referring to) is
not well-suited to many situations, so something like timber value may
actually be a reasonable choice. Alternately, when we’ve appraised or
reviewed appraisals of plantations that for whatever reason must be done
using the TFM, we would typically expect to use a fairly low (maybe 10-15%)
location rating, thus accounting for the fact that it’s not an appraisal of
an individual tree that might have a high contribution to the site.

Another method (which was recently brought to my attention, as I had
overlooked it in the guide) is the Contributory Value – basically, how much
does the plantation contribute in terms of value to the property? It’s
outlined on Pg. 100 if you have the 9th edition of the guide handy.

Like others have said, cost of cure or replacement cost could also work.

I’m sure this muddies the waters a bit, but appraisal can be tricky. I think
they key is to come up with something that seems reasonable and is
defensible. I’m sure others on the list will also have more to say on the
matter.

Cheers,

Alex

Alex Satel, MFC