[CANUFNET] Ash borer moth in Edmonton

Bill Barr Bill.Barr at edmonton.ca
Fri Oct 19 16:12:00 EDT 2012

In a neighbourhood in Edmonton this fall, we found a few small ash trees that began to fail and that had been heavily attacked by ash/lilac borer moth, Podosesia syringae. Small ash trees (less than 15 cm DBH) predominate in the neighbourhood and in the neighbourhoods nearby. The ash trees in these neighbourhoods have as many as six galleries of the borer moth in the main stem; nonetheless, nearly all of the trees appear to be okay so far. Stresses include a drought from 2002 to 2010 (broken only in 2003 and 2004) http://www.edmonton.ca/for_residents/pest_management/edmonton-area-moisture-levels.aspx and a shallow layer of topsoil (roughly 20 cm). We are weighing several approaches for dealing with ash/lilac borer moth in these neighbourhoods. Pheromone trapping has shown that the moth is citywide. We would be grateful for any advice.

Bill Barr

Pest Lab
Community Services
City of Edmonton