[CANUFNET] Urban Orchards

Ian Wilson IWilson at kelowna.ca
Wed Nov 7 10:43:28 EST 2012

Hi Geoff,

We have a couple of small urban orchards in Kelowna since orchards are part of our agricultural heritage.  One of them is planted with Callery pear, so it doesn't actually produce any fruit and is more for show.  Another small orchard is plum trees.  Plums were chosen because they don't require pesticide sprays.  We also have community gardens that have a few fruit trees but they aren't orchards per se.

Edible landscaping seems to be an emerging trend in a number of cities these days - have a look on Google.

Some of the potential issues with urban orchards are - pesticide sprays, different pruning requirements for fruit production, who will harvest and uses the fruit?  Etc.

In our community gardens it's entirely run by a volunteer group, the city only supplies the space and they do all the rest - it's a model that works very well for us.  Our staff do look after the small orchards but they are not very big and don't require much resources

Ian