[CANUFNET] White Blotches on Maples solved

Oliver Reichl careofthetrees at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 17:41:52 EST 2013

I've seen this stuff on trees for years and always presumed it was
lichen-related, either a pre-lichenized fungus or a post-lichen blemish.

For all things lichen, I usually refer to this tome:
http://www.amazon.ca/Lichens-North-America-Irwin-Brodo/dp/0300082495

Ontario's NHIC website has a decent lichen species list for Ontario, but
their new interface stupidly only works with the IE browser. Also, before
Comrade Harper killed it, Environment Canada's EMAN program had a lichen
monitoring protocol that may be of interest in light of Philip's reminder
that they can serve as indicator species of air quality.

Oliver K. Reichl, B.E.S.(Hons)
Consulting Arborist-Ecologist
ISA Certified Arborist #ON-1178A
Tel: 613-923-8833