[CANUFNET] FW: Green Ash in Alberta and Saskatchewan

Gerard Fournier gerard at fortrees.ca
Wed May 22 15:11:21 EDT 2013

Hi Andy,

A lot of the stands around the Edmonton area contain naturalized Green Ash. It is doubtful how many occurred there naturally, prior to the advent of the Canadian Farm Shelterbelt program, which planted millions of trees all across the prairies, including Green Ash, since 1901. The largest natural stands of Ash I have seen in my travels though Alberta are actually along the Battle River, from south of Lloydminster west as far as highway 2 north of Red Deer. It is not unusual to see Green Ash along there, but never in pure stands, always with Manitoba Maple and other species. Green ash can also be seen along the South and North Saskatchewan Rivers, but how many of these were introduced trees is hard to say.

Good luck!

Gerard

Gerard Fournier

Board Certified Master Arborist #PR-0130BT

Tree Canada Community Advisor- Alberta

ISA Prairie Chapter President

President

For Trees Company Ltd.

1-877-390-TREE (toll-free)

for_tree_rev10

TC_logo_English

Board_cert_arb copyisa provinces logo colour