[CANUFNET] Professional Standards and Liability

Michael Richardson mrtree at kos.net
Sat Feb 1 09:45:41 EST 2014

For quite a long time now arborists and other urban forest workers have
talked about tree risk assessment, hazard trees etc.

The collapse of part of the roof of a mall in Elliot Lake has brought to
light to question of competence, ethics and I suppose abilities.

See
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/01/31/engineer_charged_in_deadly_elliot_lake_mall_roof_collapse.html

for some discussion.

As the engineer has been charged by Ministry of Labour for "negligent
advice" and the Ontario Provincial Police or criminal negligence causing
death and injury what does this say to those doing tree risk assessments?
By in large those doing TRA are not members of professional organizations
so professional credibility is not an issue, but, ethical and criminal
credibility are?

It seems that ISA now believes you are a qualified tree risk assessor
after a two day course and I know of one municipality who used students
with no qualifications/certifications to do hazard ratings on 1000's of
trees.

Makes me wonder what duty and standard we need to adhere to.

Michael