[CANUFNET] Planting on private land

Peter Murray pmurray5 at cogeco.ca
Tue Mar 4 14:30:59 EST 2014

Our small community, Gananoque, 5,200 pop, does not have an "official" policy on this, but, when a desired potential planting street site does not have enough land suitable for planting a caliper size tree, and there is a need for tree cover, we do plant on private land close, 1 or 2 M , to the street allowance property line. When this is done, the town assumes the cost of planting and long term maintenance. It is in effect a "town tree"  with the constraints that involves. There is no signed agreement but the land owner is consulted, asked if they wish a tree there, and if they accept they are told that the tree is a "town" tree with the constraints that accompany that designation. This is not a common practice, but over the last years we have planted perhaps 10 or 15. Locations for town plantings are recommended by the town Urban Forest and Trail committee volunteers.  Peter Murray, Committee, Chair.