[CANUFNET] FW: In-house Tree Management Databases and Big Cities

Sherry Boerefyn sherry.boerefyn at edmonton.ca
Mon Apr 28 10:24:31 EDT 2014

Hi Meagan,

Here's an answer from The City of Edmonton.

1) We use a program called GEO Media to input data onto the City's spacial
map. GEO Media is similar to ArcView. We are just starting to use Davey
Tree Keeper as well as a work management tool.

2) GEO Media and Davey Tree Keeper were both developed by outside, but were
customized by or IT Department.

3) The attributes collected are customizable. We collect Species, location
DBH and other things last pruned date, date planted and near by utilities.
You can customize both programs to suite your needs.

4) Both programs use spatial maps and we add our aerial photos. We use
these photos to populate the tree location. We find that works as well as
GPS.

5) Our data is accessible to all GEO Media users in the city, but 311 is
not a user. It could be accessed on our Open Data site by anyone, including
the public.

6) Geo Media is accessed in the field by the Tree Inventory staff. Davey
Tree Keeper can be accessed by all City staff with wifi and a login to our
page. The Inventory team prefers a laptop and others use tablets like iPad.

7) No GPS. But you can use it for populating data if you like with GEO
Media.

8) Our IT department is responsible for all things GEO Media in Edmonton.
The areas using the program train their users. We are mandated to load all
data onto a SLIM map. We all have read access to each other's data. Davey
Tree Keeper IT dept. worked with ours to mesh up the attributes.

9) Over the past 3 years we have sometimes struggled to get our projects
done with the huge volume of work our IT dept. handles. Sometimes, what
they wanted to charge us was outside our tiny Forestry budget. But
generally out IT people work hard to get us what we need. Davey Tree Keeper
staff are very available.

The reason we are using 2 systems (data is synced each night) is for their
different abilities. GEO Media has the ability to run multiple queries of
data at the same time and you can create maps on it. Davey is more of a
work management system. They also have a new app that looks promising for
field staff.

Hope that helps.

--
*Sherry Boerefyn, LAT*