[CANUFNET] Looking for tree/green advocates around Goderich, Ontario

Boysen, Barb (MNRF) barb.boysen at ontario.ca
Fri Dec 19 07:51:18 EST 2014

On this week's Monday CBC Radio 1 afternoon gardening call in show, Ed Lawrence spoke very passionately about the need for every level of governance to recognize and plan for good tree cover and health; this in response to thousands more Ottawa ash trees to be cut in the wake of EAB.  He also called for every person to plant a tree for themselves and on behalf of their loved ones – this year.  He did focus on the need for species diversity and native species.  And as I listened to it, I kept thinking – ‘and good, locally adapted stock, and good sites, and good planting and good tending!’ We have to recognize that even in the best of situations and with the best of motives it is still hard work to get it right.  The average tree planter needs help.

Re this Goderich issue, if the trees have to come down (?) hopefully a voluntary compensation effort can be made.

Also re local governance responsibility, increasingly in most urban areas they are allowing trees to come down. But even worse is the 'permanent' loss of tree ‘habitat’, the rooting area that sustains a large tree, without the creation or restoration of local places for future trees.  It is getting so bad, that even where they do plan for compensating projects it is very hard to find a good place to establish trees that will do more than suffer for 20 years.

Perhaps someone has a contact for Ed and can bring him in on this issue.

My 2 cents

Wishing you good luck!

Barb Boysen