[CANUFNET] Urban Tree Planting and Air Pollution

Erin Embley Erin.Embley at metrovancouver.org
Thu Feb 12 19:23:49 EST 2015

Hi all,

I'm sharing this article that I thought some might find interesting, it describes a case study on street trees trapping air pollution.

If others have good resources exploring the cost/benefit of trees on air pollution I would appreciate if you could send them my way, (also any analysis of species selection or design considerations to maximize this potential 'ecosystem benefit'). Urban trees improving air quality is mentioned often but other colleagues in the air quality field also share data on negative impacts (e.g. the contribution of some tree species to the development of ground level ozone).

Science for Environment Policy: Careful urban tree planting and pruning needed to reduce trapping of air pollution
http://ec.europa.eu/environment/integration/research/newsalert/pdf/urban_tree_planting_and_pruning_to_reduce_trapping_air_pollution_403na6_en.pdf

Thanks in advance,

Erin Embley
Regional Planner, Electoral Area and Environment
Planning, Policy and Environment
t. 604.451.6659
metrovancouver<http://www.metrovancouver.org/>
SERVICES AND SOLUTIONS FOR A LIVABLE REGION