[CANUFNET] Recorded lectures of "Urban Forests for Urban Futures" and "Nature & Public Health"

Kwei, Robert Robert.Kwei at ubc.ca
Thu Mar 12 12:26:11 EDT 2015

Hello All,

The recorded version of the lecture by Dr Cecil Konijnendijk is now available at http://bit.ly/healthycities

Urban foresters are in the business of creating happiness. In the 2015 Schaffer Lectureship, Dr Cecil Konijnendijk explores the roots of urban forestry and the growing evidence of its importance to healthy, sustainable, and livable cities. Dr Konijnendijk explores the cross disciplinary skills urban foresters need to meet the challenges of future cities in what he describes as "Urban Forestry 2.0". Join Dr Konijnendijk in exploring the past, present and future of urban forestry.

Apologies, due to technical difficulties, there are periodic sound quality issues.

On the same page, we have also posted a video of Dr Matilda van den Bosch that may also be of interest.

The global burden of disease is shifting from infectious diseases to non-communicable diseases such as mental disorders. Dr Matilda van den Bosch explores how a shift in traditional medical interventions to social and physical environmental interventions can benefit future cities. Can forests and natural environments heal our cities? Can we reduce our need for pharmaceutical drugs? Dr Van den Bosch gives an overview of existing research correlating natural environments with positive health benefits and explores the future implications.

Watch both videos at: http://bit.ly/healthycities

Kind regards,
Robert