[CANUFNET] spiral pruning

Julian Dunster jadunster at gmail.com
Mon May 11 12:11:41 EDT 2015

In the Lower Mainland of BC a few of us initiated spiral pruning as a
technique to reduce the likelihood of windthrow, in the early 90's.
Initially it was mainly Douglas-firs, hemlocks, and redcedars along new
edges as development occurred. Later it was tried on isolated trees.

As an edge treatment for newly exposed trees in a forest it works well.
It opens up the edge to be more 'porous' and the wind dissipates back
into the forest stand without triggering windthrow. As a treatment for
individual trees trees it is less successful, and on Douglas-fir, very
harmful. When we started it over two decades back, we had heard a little
about branch clashing, wind sail etc and it seemed a logical approach.
It turns out that, at least in Douglas-fir, the branches need to clash.
When they were removed  as part of spiral pruning they moved a lot more
in strong winds and increased branch failure resulted, which in turn
allowed other branches to move more and encouraged additional branch
failure. I recall seeing isolated Douglas-firs that had been spiral
pruned, looking very motheaten years later, with massive amounts of
limbs broken off. The trees not touched seemed just fine and few had
fallen down.

These days I would not prescribe spiral pruning for an individual tree
that is isolated. I would still recommend it as part of edge treatment
for newly exposed trees (any species) in forest conditions. It should
not be prohibited in all circumstances. Like many treatments there is a
time and place where it can be very effective as means of meeting
defined management goals.

On Behalf of Dunster and Associates Environmental Consultants Ltd.

Dr. Julian A Dunster R.P.F., R.P.P.., M.C.I.P., ISA Certified Arborist,
ASCA Registered Consulting Arborist # 378,
ISA Tree Risk Assessment Qualified
BC Wildlife Danger Tree Assessor
Honourary Life Member ISA + PNWISA

www.dunster.ca