[CANUFNET] Municipal Tree by-laws enforcement

Listar, Ivan ilistar at London.ca
Tue Jun 30 13:19:09 EDT 2015

Hi Adrina, I am not sure if I am using the most current Canufnet posting address so I am copying this to you as well. Hopefully you will post this request on Canufnet. Respondents can reply directly to me if they wish but this information may be useful to the larger Canufnet community.

The City of London is revising its current private and public tree by-laws. In support of the proposed measures and expected increase in administration and enforcement requirements I have been asked to quantify what staff resources other municipalities have to manage their by-laws. If you would please take a couple of minutes to provide the following information, it would be a great help.

Private tree By-law
1.      Does your by-law cover all trees or do you have a separate woodland by-law and other tree by-law?
2.      How many permit requests do you receive per year for each type of by-law?
3.      Of the permit requests, how many actually result in permits being issued?
4.      How many trees (and their size or range of sizes if applicable) per year do you allow to be removed without a permit? What issues does this pose for administration?
5.      What is the minimum size tree protected by the tree by-law?

City Tree By-law
1.      Do you allow residents to plant trees on boulevards?  If so under what conditions?
2.      How many requests for planting on boulevards do you get per year? How many of them result in permits being issued?

How many administrative, professional/technical and enforcement staff does your municipality have to manage these by-laws?

Thank you for taking the time to reply to this survey.

Ivan Listar, R.P.F.
Manager, Urban Forestry
Planning Services, Environmental and Parks Planning
383 Richmond Street, Suite 1102
London, Ontario N6A 4L9
Phone: 519-661-2500 Ext 4977
Fax: 519-963-1483
Email: ilistar at london.ca<mailto:ilistar at london.ca>

This information is directed in confidence solely to the person(s) it's sent to and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. This information may not otherwise be distributed, copied or disclosed. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately via a return e-mail and destroy original message. Thank you for your cooperation.