[CANUFNET] Routine Tree Inspections

Alan Kemp Alan.Kemp at nanaimo.ca
Wed Nov 18 18:42:45 EST 2015

We use a Tempest / Prospero Calls For Service program for our street and boulevard trees. It can be initiated for specific streets and various re-issue dates depending on levels of hazard concern. What we don’t have so far is a formal inspection program for all other areas such as the Municipal RoW trees. I have been reviewing programs centred on risk management that can identify various areas within the City and then from that be able to create an inspection program. Unfortunately this is a huge task for a staff of one! We have an inventory for the boulevard / street trees, but not for all else. There are some great computer programs out there and companies that can assist in setting these types of programs up, but it all takes time, money and most importantly commitment and support from your local municipal government.

Nanaimo is in a critical stage of development where we still have considerable remnant areas of native trees that cannot reasonably be inspected every year if at all! We therefore at this time rely on staff, the public, other utilities and myself when I get time to look out for hazards. We are presently awaiting the outcome of an injury claim regarding a failed tree from one of these areas, so can’t comment further, but the question definitely is “what is reasonable”!!

Alan Kemp
Urban Forestry Coordinator
Certified Arborist, Certified Tree Risk Assessor
Community Development
City of Nanaimo
250 755 4460 (local 4357)
alan.kemp at nanaimo.ca