[CANUFNET] boulevard planting pit

Art Maat art.maat at nektardata.com
Mon Jan 18 12:27:29 EST 2016

Hello all.

A contractors perspective.

I always say that we are in the 2 year business. Get a tree to firmly
establish and grow for the first 2 years and we win.  If we succeed in that
and can turn over a healthy tree at FAC everyone wins and the tree usually
thrives in the years to follow. The first 2 years are also the most
important in the tree's life,  no different than a young human or animal in
the early stages of life.

When we at Wilco experienced heavy salt damage during the FAC period in the
past, we would attempt to lodge a claim for third party damage,, ie the
city salt trucks being the third party. The evidence is that the (salt)
damage to the tree usually shows up in the dead buds or lack of new buds
coming thru in the spring.  In coniferous it is usually needle burn and bud
damage that is evident. We have had projects where the trees (columnar
aspen) are planted behind a noise wall and the tops that are exposed above
the wall are dead and everything below the wall is budding out fine. In one
case of a successful third party damage claim we were able to proof that
our trees died from salt spray using the fact that the newly installed
light poles on the same project were all rusty on one side. This
circumstantial evidence was enough to convince the project manager that
there was no way a tree could survive the salt spray if the light poles
couldn't ! The implied realization was that it was not the salts in the
soil that killed the tree but the spray itself.

Years ago we adopted a practice whereby we actually "wash"  all our trees
using a hydro-seeder or decent wide spray fire nozzle as early in the
spring as possible, at first watering, to remove any resident salt spray
that may be coating the fresh buds as they try to breakout. We also do a
heavy root zone watering in spring to 'flush' thru any salt presence from
the soil.  Our survival results have been great in using this and many
other good maintenance practices to get our trees to grow.

Art Maat
Pres
Wilco NW

*Art Maat*