[CANUFNET] Fw: Evaluating, legislating and managing historically significant trees

Meagan Hanna, Miss meagan.hanna at mail.mcgill.ca
Tue Feb 16 19:59:18 EST 2016

Subject: Evaluating, legislating and managing historically significant trees

Hello Friends of the Canadian Urban Forest, and beyond!

I'm looking for some information on how communities have managed their historically significant and interesting trees. I am preparing a summary of initiatives nation-wide which I plan to present in the next couple of months.

I'm fairly familiar with the Ontario Urban Forest Council (OUFC) and Trees Ontario Heritage Tree Program. Less familiar specifically with what Ontario municipalities have done to nominate significant trees and ensure that these trees are managed accordingly. In other words: what are the systems in place to recognize and protect heritage trees? Who is involved/what are their roles? How are your programs performing and are they being kept up?

As far as provinces outside of Ontario go, I am eager to learn more as I am way too ignorant of what is going on beyond the Windsor - Quebec City corridor. I'm looking for anything on legislation, by-laws, programs, tree tours, publicly accessible data, books etc. Any insight or experiences would be cherished at this point, so please feel to write to me if you can at meagan.hanna at mail.mcgill.ca or by all means share on over the listserv!

Thanks so much for your input.

FYI - EXAMPLES FROM QUEBEC

As for Quebec, we do not have any provincially or regionally based legislation or programs for heritage trees. Similarly, we do not have a widely accepted methodology for designating a particular tree as historically significant. Certain municipalities have commemorated individual trees with the help of citizens and community groups. I only know of one municipality (borough of Saint-Leonard, Montreal) that has adopted a municipal by-law for the recognition and protection of "remarkable trees." Nevertheless, only one tree has been named in the last 4 years and a nomination committee has yet to be formed. I have seen other boroughs and cities manage modest online databases of significant trees as well. A couple of French language resources for your information, of which can be translated into English if you use GoogleChrome (right click on pages and select "Translate into English" :

Montreal, inventory of significant trees around Mont-Royal's natural and historic heritage district

http://www1.ville.montreal.qc.ca/siteofficieldumontroyal/inventaires?naturel%5B%5D=515&sommet=All&arrond=All&ensemble=All&periode=All

Quebec City significant trees - community contest with experienced jury

http://www.af2r.org/mise-en-valeur-et-conservation/les-arbres-remarquables-des-monuments-vivants

Quebec City's open access tree inventory data - lists on potentially remarkable trees, these trees have no special legal designation

http://donnees.ville.quebec.qc.ca/donne_details.aspx?jdid=82

City of Granby - interactive map of remarkable trees in the city. Pretty cool idea to manage a few trees.

http://granby.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/?appid=387f221712df4b8bb4edaa6ff0f99459

All the best,

Meg

Meagan Hanna, MA.