[CANUFNET] Sourcing Nursery Stock

Ethier Elaine elaine.ethier at umontreal.ca
Mon Mar 7 22:58:06 EST 2016

Hello,
Planning bare root trees in Quebec as gotten scarce, fewer nurseries offer adapted species for our ever changing northern Nordic area. B&B, wire baskets are the norm for municipalities street trees and parks. Some 30mm DHP CT potted trees are available with sufficient root systems but in small batches making the use of w-b very costly.  Street trees get severely damaged with snow removal no matter the size, most sidewalks are just so narrow, it's either damage to expensive sidewalks snowcats or trees no matter the DHP. So when looking for nursery stock for urban planting, let's keep in mind installation of winter protection, it's as important as tree selection.
Elaine Ethier
Plani Gester