[CANUFNET] Tree Maintenance Backlog

Lane, James James.Lane at york.ca
Wed Apr 13 14:10:41 EDT 2016

Hi Paul,

York Region undertakes tree maintenance (preventative, planned, reactive) through three programs, each with specific cycles/time frames.

Young/recently planted street trees (generally under 10 years of age) are maintained through Juvenile Tree Maintenance Program.  In the Juvenile Tree Maintenance program all planted street trees are structural pruned, mulched and fertilized on a 3 year cycle.

Trees between 10 and 50 years old are maintained through the Intermediate Tree Maintenance program.  In the Intermediate Tree Maintenance program street trees are structural pruned on a 7 year cycle.  We consider the juvenile and intermediate tree maintenance programs to be preventative maintenance.

Trees over 50 years old are captured through our mature tree maintenance program.  In the mature tree maintenance program, each Region road section is inspected on a 4 year cycle and trees requiring maintenance (typically hazard abatement or clearance) are identified and assigned a work order.  This work is general completed within 6 months of inspection (or sooner if there concern the tree will fail in the near future).  Any trees, regardless of size, identified as posing a hazard are addressed in this process.  We consider this planned maintenance.  If we receive a request from a resident or our roads maintenance staff to maintain a tree (typical posing a hazard), we inspect within 3 - 5 days (depending on the reason  for the request) and issue a work order if required.  Work orders generated from requests are identified as priority or non-priority.  Priority work orders are completed with three work days and non-priority within 30 working days.  Any tree maintenance identified as an emergency (typical a tree which as full or partially failed) is dealt within two hours.  Request and emergency tree maintenance is consider reactive maintenance.

With the exception of our Juvenile Tree Maintenance program, all tree maintenance is delivered by external contractors.  Timelines to complete maintenance are stipulated in our contracts.  We typically complete 90% or better within the specified cycles and time frames.

Hope this helps.

James

James S. Lane, R.P.F | Program Manager, Urban Forestry and Business Planning, Environmental Promotion and Protection Branch, Environmental Service Department
The Regional Municipality of York| 17250 Yonge Street | Newmarket, ON L3Y 6Z1
O: 905-830-4444 ext. 75271 | james.lane at york.ca<mailto:james.lane at york.ca> | www.york.ca<http://www.york.ca/>
Our Values: Integrity, Commitment, Accountability, Respect, Excellence