[CANUFNET] tree canopy target

James Steenberg james.steenberg at ryerson.ca
Wed Jun 22 12:47:05 EDT 2016

Hello Everyone,

This is a very interesting debate and I thought I would join. I echo a lot
of the sentiments so far, but I would also argue that this is a matter of
spatial scale and that there are additional limitations with city-wide
canopy cover targets.

Achievable canopy targets are so variable and scale-dependent across a
given city that 1) tree planting initiatives can often be directed towards
‘low-hanging fruit’ like highway rights of way that have less value as
public space, and 2) neighbourhoods with higher densities and/or less
public space can get left by the wayside.

For Halifax’s urban forest master plan, we adopted neighbourhood-based
canopy cover targets (among other objectives) ranging from 12% to 70% based
on analysis of local conditions with the hopes of establishing more
relevant and attainable goals. Here’s the plan’s website:
https://www.halifax.ca/property/UFMP/

- James

-----

James Steenberg, PhD