[CANUFNET] Canadian or U.S. jute tree tie suppliers

Ian Bruce ianbruce at brucetree.com
Thu Jun 30 12:50:01 EDT 2016

I saved this message as a draft and forgot about it, but I have a lot of
experience over 44 years staking and tying trees and assessing every manner
of tree tie material.  So I decided later better than never.

I would start by saying that back in the 90s Landscape Ontario and OALA
co-operated to put together the LOHTA/OALA committee of industry experts to
look at high mortality of newly planted trees due to transplant shock.
Well-known industry experts like Tony DiGiovanni, and at the time, Horst
Dickert and John Putzer and others on the 8 person committee approached the
question by listing all of the reasons for transplant shock and then one by
one listed the best alternative that supported transplant success and free
growing on.

The outcome of the above year-plus project was the development of the
"Reference Guide For Developing Planting Details".  The guide includes a
well-laid out description of the issues and recommended methods for
planting for success.  The document was revised in 2005 and nothing much
has changed.  The methods outlined are in most cases the result of years of
experience on the committee and research all over North America (one of the
most important and local experts being Dr. Glen Lumis from U of G.  I
strongly suggest that anyone looking to put together a detail (BR, B&B, CG,
WB or tree-spade dug) would be well-advised to contact LO for a copy of
this guide.  (side note: we also put together a similar document entitled
"A Reference Guide For Selecting and Handling Plant Material".

The above-noted planting detail guide sought to *eliminate the use of* any
material used in the above-ground planting operation that did not
biodegrade in a reasonable period of time if whoever planted it forgot
about follow-up inspection and maintenance.  Out of that we recommended
taking strips of regular loose weave burlap (such as the material used to
ball, burlap and drum-lace trees) and rolling it and tying the tree in a
figure 8 with a couple of twists between stake and tree to keep the stake
itself from banging, rubbing or girdling the trunk.

Today with an emphasis on time-saving and a uniform method and finished
product where many crews and hands are involved, I recommend 2" wide
closely woven burlap.  It biodegrades reasonably quickly, comes in an easy
to manage and stow (in a truck) roll, and is quick and easy to apply. If
you want something to spec for large quantity contract or in-house
plantings, this is the material.  As noted by others, Timm Enterprises
carries this material.

Our operations division also uses Arbor-tie synthetic webbing in other tree
support applications where we need the least obtrusive material in highly
ornamental landscapes where clients get put off by "unattractive, crude"
materials like burlap.  The cautionary message here is that being synthetic
(and very strong) this material will last a long time and not degrade
quickly enough or adequately enough to avoid girdling of the trunk or
getting caught and included in the union of a lower branch and the trunk.

Rather long-winded I guess, but proper planting (second only to proper
species and plant selection and careful handling) is at the root of future
health, vitality and longevity of the trees in our urban forest canopies.

Happy Canda Day weekend.

Cheers,
iAN

[image: Inline image 1]