[CANUFNET] FW: tree canopy target

Councillor Laura Dupont Dupontl at portcoquitlam.ca
Fri Jul 1 20:26:19 EDT 2016

Thank you so much Ian for your good dose of urban reality.   Important points you make!

Happy tree filled Canada Day to you too!

Regards,

Laura Dupont, Councillor
City of Port Coquitlam

________________________________
On: 30 June 2016 12:00, "Ian Bruce" <ianbruce at brucetree.com> wrote:
So....not to put a negative spin on all of this positive discussion around canopy cover targets but...

As the owner of a tree care firm in Toronto, I would like to throw out the following comments with respect to our targets here for future canopy:

  1.  In recent years, the consulting arborists in our firm are increasingly  having to represent tree preservation related expectations by the city and for clients, that compete head-on with issues around intensification, re-development and in-fill.  One good example is the city's recent requirement that developers replace long-time surface parking on their empty sites with underground public parking as part of their development proposal.
  2.  Related to the latter but also a problem with providing significant underground parking for high-rise development in areas zoned for intensification, is the trend to underground built form (parking lots) stretching property line to property line on all four sides.  Ultimately when the water-proofing membrane deteriorates and the slab of this underground needs repair, all trees on the site have to be removed and all soil excavated to facilitate re and re.  You can guess what happens when they are done and re-landscaping... a new crop of 50-60 mm. trees or hopefully  larger.  Positive side...excellent opportunity to replace some old worn-out, poorly performing or structurally defective trees or currently less than desirable species (Norway Maple, but don't get me going on that topic) with desirable species of the day, healthy and structurally sound and reflective of the new pallet of built form and site-related constraints. Down-side...large growing shade trees contributing significantly on those sites get replaced by a short-rotation crop because up until now membrane technology promised us 25-35 years of water-proofing life.
  3.  Then there are the "natural" pressures on the existing canopy of EAB, ice storms and the threat of Oak Wilt and Sudden Oak Death.
  4.  Lastly is our mushrooming love affair with redevelopment of old residential sites with small bungalows or war-time houses on, to monster homes that push the zoning limits and threaten large, previously healthy and in many cases structurally sound trees that escaped chronic injury due to their location away from the street.

40%....needs to be considered with a grain of salt in a city land-locked by surrounding existing urban sprawl.

Happy Canada Day Weekend.

iAN

[Inline image 1]