[CANUFNET] tree protection

Naomi Zurcher via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Tue Jan 17 09:09:11 EST 2017

Hi all:

While I was a private Consultant and Urban Forester, never working for the municipality itself, I always found many ordinances and by-laws ineffectual because they were unenforceable.

I would like to suggest that any by-laws that restrict damage to or removal of healthy publicly owned trees be tied to the building permit. If the building permit stipulates the restrictions, then a possibility of enforcement is pulling the permit, which would bring the entire project to a halt.

Another question of concern is the value placed on the trees that fall within the work footprint. If trees are undervalued, then they are a throwaway for the developer / construction company and any resulting fines, etc are negligible. If, however, healthy mature trees are valued for all the Ecosystem service benefits they provide to the municipality and that value is stipulated in the pre-construction tree inventory, then the developer / construction would have to contend with that amount for damages.

Last and most important is requiring the project in its design phase to adopt "building WITH trees" strategies such as augering or tunneling under existing roots, wherever they might be, project oversight by a Consulting Arborist or equivalent, pre build tree protection installation that includes adequate fencing for the entire tree and penalties for removal of the fence without prior approval, installation of modular ground surface protection mats to reduce compaction, the use of pneumatic excavation to access roots that require root pruning along with a protocol for the management of exposed roots.

When the cost of replacement as established by the value noted in the inventory is compared with the cost of retaining the tree and building WITH it, retaining the tree is no longer that expensive and so worth considering.

As to the roots of publicly owned trees extending into private property, does Saskatoon have a right of way determination which always extends into the part of private property that abuts public rights-of-way. If so, that can be applied to trees' roots and thus their protection.

Hope some of this helps.

best
naomi