[CANUFNET] tree protection

Julian Dunster via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Tue Jan 17 11:34:36 EST 2017

Largely missing from the debate so far is a discussion as to whether or
not the trees are worth saving. I know it is politically correct to save
every tree - Monty Python images of every tree is sacred float into
view.  Well over twenty years ago Jeremy Barrell in the UK floated out
the concept of SULE -

Safe Useful Life Expectancy to deal with this. The first step is to do
decide how much longer the tree has in place in a safe condition with no
disturbance, but allowing for normal weather etc. If it is not long then
scrap it and replant. If it is long then get everyone on board at the
outset. But, as is so often the case, arborists

are not the key players. The planners and other design professionals
are. The engineers, architects, landscape architects, plus the
bureaucrats all have a significant role to play in saving trees
effectively and in ensuring that new plantings will work well. For the
latter, how many municipal design standards pay much heed to Jim Urban's
work?

My suspicion is not many. And none of these issues are helped when many
cities do not practice what they preach - something I see all the time
where engineering and parks departments implement work that would
attract a stop work order, a fine, or at least a heated discussion, were
such activity to be found on a private development site.

It's as much a cultural problem as a technical one.

On Behalf of Dunster and Associates Environmental Consultants Ltd.

Dr. Julian A Dunster R.P.F., R.P.P.., M.C.I.P., ISA Certified Arborist,
ASCA Registered Consulting Arborist # 378,
ISA Tree Risk Assessment Qualified
BC Wildlife Danger Tree Assessor
Honourary Life Member ISA + PNWISA

North American distributor for Rinntech