[CANUFNET] tree protection

Astrid Nielsen via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Tue Jan 17 11:29:44 EST 2017

Hi Michelle,

Last May, 2016, the City of Ottawa adopted new infill housing guidelines to
help protect trees during infill development. These require a Tree
Disclosure Information Report submitted as part of the Building Permit
Application process. Details on the location and health of protected trees
need to be included on the grading plan for the site. This gives the
opportunity for developers and city staff to see the impacts to the tree
canopy early on. As far as neighbouring trees are concerned, they are
required to be included in the report if they are large enough to be
protected under the private tree by-law and their critical root zone
extends into the proposed zone of excavation You can check out more at:

http://ottawa.ca/en/residents/water-and-environment/trees-and-community-forests#tree-and-infill-development

Some background....

The City of Ottawa has both a private tree by-law and a city-tree by-law.
The private tree by-law was implemented in 2009 and requires that
"distinctive trees", i.e. over 50 cm in diameter on properties less than 1
ha in urban areas need a permit from the City of Ottawa to remove. For
properties larger than 1 ha (i.e. mostly subdivision developments), permits
are required to remove trees greater than 10 cm.

Through regular subdivision applications and those files going through
Committee of Adjustments, there is opportunity for trees to be captured
early in the development process. However, for those infill developments
that require only building permits, there was no mechanism to ensure that
they are considered during the actual planning stage. Although developers
would require Distinctive Tree Permit to remove trees greater than 50 cm,
this was done often at the last minute once the plans had all been
approved, or once the tree was damaged to the point of no return or because
it presented a hazard to construction crews.

The new infill housing guidelines are the next step in helping to ensure
that trees and protection are considered earlier in the planning process.
It's not perfect, but a good start. And, it results in better reporting by
the applicants as mapping the trees is a requirement.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about it.

Astrid

*Astrid Nielsen*
MFC, RPF, ISA Certified Arborist®

astrid.nielsen at dendronforestry.ca