[CANUFNET] tree protection

Julian Dunster via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Thu Jan 19 11:56:47 EST 2017

Many of arborists in Britain regularly use GPS, GIS, and CAD routinely
for development projects. One of them developed special CAD software for
the purpose. The lack of its use in Canada almost certainly reflects a
lack it being taught in curricula, as part of professional practice. We
still focus on pruning, planting, fertilising and tree stuff, all of
which is fine but needs expanding to the 21st century to include
effective use of technology. Several of my colleagues in BC use CAD all
the time. I use GPS and GIS.

We need to expand the horizon of what arboriculture and urban forestry
might / should entail. At the same time we can also inform surveyors and
architects of we expect them to produce - such as CAD symbols for canopy
that are scaled to reality on the ground, not simply rubber stamped on a
plan, all at the same size (a pet peeve).

On Behalf of Dunster and Associates Environmental Consultants Ltd.

Dr. Julian A Dunster R.P.F., R.P.P.., M.C.I.P., ISA Certified Arborist,
ASCA Registered Consulting Arborist # 378,
ISA Tree Risk Assessment Qualified
BC Wildlife Danger Tree Assessor
Honourary Life Member ISA + PNWISA

North American distributor for Rinntech