[CANUFNET] Incentives

Julian Dunster via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Thu Jan 19 12:05:59 EST 2017

The incentive should be that the applicant gets approval - non
conforming applicants don't.

But, we should not lose sight of other issues. Putting my planner hat on
for a moment, society loves to talk about sustainable housing,
affordable housing, environmentally sustainable designs etc. It is all
fabulous in principle. Sadly, it all costs money, so although urban
foresters and arborists may see the value of tree retention, the horrid
truth is that the costs of implementing it all simply gets passed on to
the buyer as additional costs per square foot. It may well add long-term
value to the development and the neighbourhood, but reconciling that
with affordability is not always easy. That being said, if affordable
housing plans would employ design professionals that knew how to design
tree friendly spaces and actually plant trees with long-term potential
to survive, we would all be better off. But very few planners know much
about trees, and many care even less, so until we have them on side not
a lot will change...........

On Behalf of Dunster and Associates Environmental Consultants Ltd.

Dr. Julian A Dunster R.P.F., R.P.P.., M.C.I.P., ISA Certified Arborist,
ASCA Registered Consulting Arborist # 378,
ISA Tree Risk Assessment Qualified
BC Wildlife Danger Tree Assessor
Honourary Life Member ISA + PNWISA

North American distributor for Rinntech