[CANUFNET] tree protection

Naomi Zurcher via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Fri Jan 20 05:42:26 EST 2017

To get back to the by-law construct itself, it is critical that any inclusion of Standards, Procedures, BMPs or the like, are as Appendices and not in the by-laws themselves.

Inside the legislated by-law, one should have a reference to any and all current Standards, etc by name including supportive requirements for related Departments, e.g. the Building Department and the issuance of permits, but the specifics need to be appended. For example, if Canada has a Standard for Nursery Tree Production, the name of that Standard, noted as the most current version, should be in the by-laws and the actual Standard as an Appendix.

Most municipalities allow for the appendices to be updated by the relevant Department or Agency as new Standards, BMPs, etc are researched and published. This would facilitate keeping the by-laws current without having to re-legislate the entire by-law.

naomi