[CANUFNET] Metal in Trees, as well as slop stability

JPM TREE SERVICE via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Tue Aug 1 17:37:42 EDT 2017

Astrid,

Ahhh. Personally, I hate metal in trees because I know what it’s like to
run into it with a chainsaw. A fellow TCIA member in Indiana has on all his estimates
that $ 75 will be added to the bill when his workers hit "any metal.”

I agreed with Philip. There’s not much we can do without inflicting further damage.
My concern would be when the tree is cut; colliding with metal
is not good for the operator nor the chainsaw. If it is aesthetically displeasing , then you
may wish to have the tree cut down or possibly wildlifed. I’m not advocating one way or other.
The course of action will depend on the owner’s wishes and the local municipal bylaws.

For slopes and roots, the general guideline is compression roots for conifers on the downslope, and
tension roots for deciduous on the upslope. Compression roots need to be twice the diameter of tension
roots to have the same strength. My experience here in the Pacific Northwest is that
our large conifers produce massive downslope, anchor roots to support themselves. Sometimes I have seen long tension roots on conifers grow laterally for their support. This often happens when outflow winds come down a valley, a fiord or a lake. Key to all of this will be locating the tree’s buttress roots and the Zone of Rapid Taper. An informative article is listed below.

Good luck.

Best,

John Martyn, ISA Certified Arborist, PN-0610
JPM Tree Service Since (since 1996)
Coquitlam, BC
604-789-4045
treeguy at shaw.ca

Buttress Roots - roots near the trunk / root collar junction that have become eccentrically thickened in the vertical plane reflecting their shape and stabilization function (Sutton and Tinus 1983). These roots may reach phenomenal proportions on tropical forest species, but are much more modest on temperate tree species

Zone of Rapid Taper - on larger trees, the area within three to six feet of the trunk where structural roots exhibit considerable secondary thickening not present on roots farther out from the trunk (Wilson 1964)