[CANUFNET] tree planting in Charlottetown, PEI

JPM TREE SERVICE via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Mon Aug 28 17:50:13 EDT 2017

Beth,

Tim has some excellent suggestions. The use of wood chip mulch under the grates is one that I applaud.
So much microbial activity occurs under those chips that benefit the tree. The CityGreen website has some interesting tree grates and guards to keep the mulch in place.

Here in Vancouver, any of the Quercus do well in our downtown sites. Mind you, they can get quite
large. This is where root barriers seem to help immensely.

Smaller soil volumes usually means smaller trees. Trees that do well in swampy conditions are
often successful in urban ones i.e.  compacted soils, low oxygen and small pore space. Mind you,
roots can be a problem and are species and site specific. Always put in good soil and healthy trees
to start. I certainly like Tim’s approach to non-burlap installs. Some people use bare root with moisture-
retaining gel (I saw that on a Martha Stewart program once). Although not specific to the concrete jungle,
the pdf below may be of some use to you. Watering bags seem to be the norm now. The City of Vancouver puts
on its new tree these Please Water Me Tags for the public to respond to. I haven’t met many newly-planted trees
that have been killed by overwatering them.

Lastly, I hope that you and Tim keep those important prominent city hall trees in optimum condition.
The pdf shows that - and few others.

Best,

John Martyn, Consulting Arborist
JPM Tree Service