[CANUFNET] planting trees

JPM TREE SERVICE via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Wed Aug 30 09:49:56 EDT 2017

All,

In today’s Vancouver Sun newspaper there is an article about the summer drought stress we are experiencing
and its possible long term effects on mature trees i.e.  its likely to shorten their lifespans, as well as waiting til
next year to see if newly-planted trees will indeed leaf out. For recent stats, Howard Normann, Director of Parks notes
that the city spends between $ 500 to $ 700 to plant a new tree and that 1500 to 2000 street trees are put in each year.
Notably, the tree bylaw stipulates that a replacement tree must be at least 6 cm (2.4 “) measured 15 cm (6 “) above grade
OR 3.5 metres (11.5 “) high. I suspect that other municipalities have similar size requirements. Summer watering bags
are now becoming quite common on our local trees.

Best,

John Martyn, Consulting Arborist
JPM Tree Service
Since 1996