[CANUFNET] Research on open data and urban forestry

James Steenberg via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Fri Sep 1 08:26:43 EDT 2017

Dear urban forest colleagues,

I'm conducting a study on the potential roles and associated barriers of government open data for sustainable urban forest management. Making urban forest data publicly available through open data programs could improve citizen engagement in municipal urban forestry. Moreover, crowdsourcing tree inventories might also help to better inform government decision-making by building more complete tree datasets on both public and private lands. However, there are likely numerous administrative and data quality barriers to such programs.

I'll be interviewing municipal practitioners across Canada to ask for their opinions on this topic. I'm sending this notice in the hopes that municipal urban foresters on the CANUFNET list might recognize my name and/or the study if they receive a request for an interview from me in their inbox. Also, if anyone wishes to contact me to hear more about the research I would be thrilled to have a conversation.

The research is being conducted by me, my supervisor Dr. Peter Duinker, Dr. Pamela Robinson from Ryerson University, and Dr. Peter Johnson from the University of Waterloo.

Best regards,
James

-----
James Steenberg, PhD
Killam Postdoctoral Fellow
School for Resource and Environmental Studies
Dalhousie University
Tel: 902-494-6355
Email: james.steenberg at dal.ca<mailto:james.steenberg at dal.ca>
Web: www.james-steenberg.com<http://www.james-steenberg.com/>