[CANUFNET] Tree Care Maintenance for Canadian Municipalities by Homeowners

JPM TREE SERVICE via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Mon Oct 30 23:49:30 EDT 2017

Maintenance of City Trees by Private Owners

Paul:  Many municipalities in my experience do not have adequate tree care maintenance budgets to provide complete and comprehensive tree care pruning. Most have just enough to clear traffic signs for safety reasons. Trees that have shed limbs, or worst, have completely uprooted are ‘cared for’ usually by removal. Nearly every sizable city I know has a “roster list’ of arborists usually, but not always, ISA Certified. With this list, homeowners, developers and other land agents or representatives can narrow down their choice of a competent tree person.

For “checks and balances” I would always suggest adherence to both the TCIA, A-300 Standards and the ISA, Best Management Practices. Knowing these at least allows a basic understanding of what not to do i.e.  generally don’t top, excessively skirt and usually avoid “windowing” trees; apply a maximum pruning dose of 25 %, etc. At the bottom are my general guidelines. Please free to use them in whole or in part, and any comments or criticisms are welcome and appreciated.

I have often done pruning of city trees, but it always part of an adjacent retail commercial complex or a large strata. The complex wants to gain “percolated views” of their businesses; the stratas need more light to the units. The municipality is happy to have a “good corporate citizen” especially when full tree pruning budgets are nearly non-existent.

For single residential family homes, I think that written specifications by the contractor submitted to the city is key. Central to this is WHY are they wanting the pruning. I have mentioned retail signage and natural light. The second objective bodes well for dark gardens that have limits on what can be grown. View enhancement should be looked at very carefully. For example, crown reduction to me is 10 to 15 % of overall height, and there should be good reasons for it e.g. reducing windsail whip. Some may think that that means a 30 % height reduction. Now you have some angry neighbours, one happy homeowner and an upset tree. Perhaps signage placed in the contractor’s window during pruning operations, like they do with tree removal, will avoid the neighbours calling in unnecessarily to city hall. No official likes that kind of call.

Like Philip, I think that the Oakville and Toronto processes have the potential to be a very positive effect on the urban forest system.

Best,

John Martyn, Consulting Arborist
JPM Tree Service
Since 1996