[CANUFNET] Rabbit protection

Braaten, Lorilee (CY - Parks) via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Thu Mar 1 15:03:29 EST 2018

Hello Canufnet members,

Our civic tree nursery, located in the interior of the city, has had substantial damage to nursery trees due to rabbits. We have had some damage in previous years but never to this degree.

We have been using different types of protection around the tree trunks to find out what works best considering cost and labour. Trees we protected with cages of wire, plastic or burlap are working, unfortunately, a spray we tried did not work.

We recently tried live trapping to remove rabbits but that had zero results.

>From now on, we will be protecting trees as we plant but in the meantime we are wanting to decrease the population in a reasonably humane way and are curious how other nurseries are dealing with this.

Thanks for any information you can share,

Lorilee

Lorilee Braaten | 306-975-2757
Urban Forestry, (Temp)Supervisor
City of Saskatoon | 1101 Ave P North | Saskatoon, SK  S7L 7K6
Lorilee.Braaten at saskatoon.ca<mailto:Lorilee.Braaten at saskatoon.ca>
www.saskatoon.ca<http://www.saskatoon.ca/>